Friday, October 11, 2019

Great strides

Sorry it's been so long.  I've been elecronically challenged--not wanting to deal with electronics.  That's my poor excuse for any concern I may have caused you in my blog absence.

And there have been a few shenanigans, including ANOTHER ambulance ride to Iowa City (with the same paramedics, who remembered me although I didn't remember them).  So what was this ambulance ride about?  Well, I can't tell you precisely what dose of steroids I was on after the ventricle shunt surgery, but it was quite a bit.  Maybe 8 mg per day or something in that ball park?  My spouse was managing  my dose for me because I was in no condition to manage my own meds.
As per doctor's orders, we stepped down the dose on a schedule.  Well, as soon as we tried to step down the steroid dose, I stopped being able to keep food down.  I was puking on my plate during dinner!  It was terrible, and horrifying for the children.  So, we called Dr. Oncologist.  She said to go to the ER and get checked out.  So we did.  And many images were taken (they have a specific phrase for this bundle of images, called a shunt-o-gram) to make sure that my shunt wasn't awry...my local ER wondered if my shunt was working too well, so hence the ambulance ride to Iowa City, where the shunt experts are.  (Although steroid withdrawl seemed to me the simplest explanation for the puking.)  The shunt experts concluded that my shunt was in perfect order and steroid withdrawl must be the cause of my nausea.  Huzzah for no problems with the shunt.  So--they upped my steroid dose for no medical reason other than Comfort, which counts for something in my book.  Now I'm on 3 mgs per day until Sunday, when I'll try to go down to 2 mgs per day.  And we're going to do an early morning blood draw to check on my body's ability to make cortisol after I wean completely off the roids.  Data!  :)

Other than these shenanigans, I'm doing quite awesomely.  Slowly getting my balance back with a bit of leg strength, I still have a physical therapist and an occupational therapist coming to my house twice each per week.  I made granola with my OT this week.  We have a low counter in our kitchen, so I can sit in a desk chair and do stuff at the low counter without anyone worrying about me falling over.  I still don't do any chopping, though, because I'm on a blood thinner and so really can't get cut right now.  I'm on the blood thinner for a blood clot in my leg that was discovered when I was hospitalized for shunt surgery.  My leg had swollen up like a club! So someone did an ultrasound of my leg while I was under I guess.  I have a clot in a femoral blood vessel = blood thinners.

Another thing I can do is cook using my Instapot!  I don't feel safe running the stove yet (because balance checks! I still need two hands on the walker.) But I can cook in my instapot.  Yesterday I made minestrone (recipe here) and it was wonderful.  I have a bladeless chopping device to ensure no injuries to myself.
 
Image result for oxo food chopper
I feel as though my biggest challenge as yet is getting back on top of  my cognitive game.  Everyone says I'm getting better, so I'm moving in the right direction.  But I still struggle when there's more than one thing going on, and it exhausts me.  So I continue to be patient with the mysteries of brain healing.  I finished an afghan and am starting another one this week.  I've read several books.  I play cards with the girls when they're home from school.  But my favorite part of the day is definitely my lunch buddy--someone has continued to organize lunch buddies for me even though I don't acutely need a lunch buddy.  That is, I can get my own lunch.  But I appreciate and love the company!  And my lunch buddy will often take me outside for a walk, which is a marvelous bonus for me!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for roid step-down plan, shout out to Instapots, and a big ole hug of love to those amazing lunch buddies for wrapping their hearts around HK. Keep cruising Beaky, you so got this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonder Heather! The Indiana Johnsons all send love and positive vibes! You are on a positive recovery path! I'm amazed you are on a path to 0 mgs of roids. I wish we could stroll down the street and be your lunch buddy. Miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhotacured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I wasNEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DREbhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus 

    ReplyDelete