Sunday, April 10, 2011

Beauty

She confidently pedals her trike in front of me, her robin's breast red hair streaming behind her.  This is the first season that she's had the agility to ride it without assistance.  Her pride is as fresh as the day.  Her biggness is betrayed, however, by a corner of her blankie poking out of the rear trike compartment, dragging on the sidewalk in her wake.  She will always be my baby.

=======

She is enveloped in my arms, sealed in by her blankie.  She walked relative miles of sidewalks this morning, experiencing spring for the first time on her own two legs.  Now she wants to rest with her mom for a few moments before busying herself with the next task.  As we cuddle, her lips undulate against her blankie's fringe.  I close my eyes and lean to kiss her forehead, breathing her scent of sweat, dirt, and syrup.  She will always be my baby.

=======

Winter has lost its grip on our neighborhood, and I wear no head covering as I walk about the neighborhood.  I can feel the sun on my scalp, coaxing growth from my hair as if it were a plot of daffodils.  The breeze tickles my follicles.  I feel better than I've felt in months, and for the first time feel that everything might actually be okay.


I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Blog Nation.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, to share in your joy of recovery. You bring tears to my eyes, for you will always be My baby. I am so proud of your strength and beauty. This is the time of renewal and I have watched as that hair came in for the first time. Yes YOU will always be my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring Always Comes. :)

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will always be my baby too. Unfortunately I have the dreaded memory of carrying you on my shoulders from the swimming pool back to our apartment. You were 9 months old...and you peed on me.

    Yes, I spazzed out. It was warm.

    ReplyDelete