Sunday, January 7, 2018

Preparing for the demise of Lloyd

Auntie J and family:  Thank you SO much for the bowling gift card!  It was just what we needed today to get our mind off of things.  We haven't been bowling in ages, and we had a ball even though we were all pretty terrible.  It was also special because my mom was here, huzzah!  And she earned a new nickname today:  Gutterball Grandma.  So thanks for that.  ;)

Today the girls treated me to a joyous day.  My youngest in particular, who is an 8-year-old that is all heart, said that she really wanted to do as many fun things with me as possible before I start to feel sick after the SRS treatment.  Sweet little peanut. 

First on the agenda, after I made pancakes and omelettes, was walking downtown to a coffee shop for hot cocoa and chai and coffee.  Today was blessedly warm compared to the deep freeze we've been stuck in, so it felt wonderful to be walking about in the sunshine.  We even stopped at the grocery store parking lot to climb the snow mountains and slide down.  So much joy.

Then we went home, got in the car, and drove to the bowling alley.  I personally wasn't sure about going bowling with the condition that my head is in, but once the girls caught wind of a bowling opportunity they could see no alternative path forward.  It ended up being just fine.  The facility wasn't as crazy-awful busy as we've experienced it before, and they were playing old music instead of modern pounding music (i.e., Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl", etc.), so I really didn't mind it at all.  Plus, the girls ADORED it.  They each got a spare and danced with joy.  I broke 100 each game, woo hoo!

After that it was time for A's girl scout meeting, so E, my mom, and I folded laundry and did the usual Sunday chores.  Nearing bedtime, I had one more item on my agenda:  make a Lloyd-fighting crown!  My oldest, A, who is 10, was delighted to take charge of this task.  First, she asked to see a picture of Lloyd, and so I showed her the high-resolution contrast pictures of Lloyd that I snapped at my appointment on Friday.  I don't even need to point Lloyd out to you on these ones; he's blatantly obvious. 

This is such a cool picture.  On this picture, my oncologist explained why Lloyd causes headaches.  In addition to the little bit of swelling (dark gray) you can see above Lloyd, the main cause of headaches is the pressure Lloyd puts on the midline of the brain.  There's supposed to be a straight line in the center of the brain, and Lloyd is pushing mine to the right.  That's painful, apparently.  


Then, she sought inspiration for the crown's shape.  Gutterball Grandma suggested wonder woman's crown, so we looked that up and thought it was a terrific template.  Finally, she wanted input on what to write on my crown.  I suggested a phrase from her own life that she might loan to me for tomorrow:  "You're toast!"  It's the name she gives herself when she sets the high score in Slither.io, which is a game she enjoys on her iPad.  Armed with these ideas, she set to work.  I was allowed to help color the letters.  It was so peaceful to end our day coloring a Lloyd-fighting crown together. 


And she's wearing the perfect shirt for today!  "When in doubt, Rule it out!"  It's the t-shirt that my dad made to accompany this blog and to raise IBC awareness!

Look at that tongue!  Such concentration.  :)


On the far right of the crown, perhaps if you zoom in, you can see that she's drawn a slice of my brain, and Lloyd is a blue mass inside of it.  

The back of the crown says, "Goodbye, Lloyd!"  (not shown). 
It's not a contest, I know that, but I really do have the best kids.  I'm so proud of them.  They are doing a great job of being brave and strong and positive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment