Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring, so soon?

We have had record highs this week, with the sun shining and the air temperature in the 70s.  Daffodils are popping up before the crocuses and gnats are swarming before all of the birds have returned.  Yes, it is odd weather, but it is extremely pleasant.

Spring always calls to my attention how much my kids have changed over the winter.  We get outside and test their old skills with tricycling, batting, and kicking.  We discover that vast improvements have occurred despite the winter hibernation.  Azalea is an ace at bat and ball.  She hits in-yard home runs every time.  Eleanor is strong and two.  She pulls Azalea in the wagon for blocks, refusing help even when her muscles are clearly fatigued and she is proceeding at a snail's pace.

Honestly, though, I'm not quite ready for spring.  I don't feel like we really had a winter.  Sure it snowed a couple of times, but the snow itself was fleeting.  Spring has come so fast that I haven't even planned the garden yet, let alone procured the seeds.  And I probably should be starting the nonexistent seedlings instead of writing this post!

Last year at this time I was recovering from my mastectomy.  I was terribly impatient about getting the drainage tubes out and starting physical therapy.  I was terribly impatient about moving on to the final step of my cancer treatment (radiation).  And I was most impatient about my hair growing back.  

Time was moving soooooo slowly last March.  Perhaps this is why it seems to be moving so quickly this March?

I'm trying to keep last March in mind as I proceed through this March.  I'm taking the time to ponder the daffodils.  I'm letting Eleanor take 15 minutes to walk down the block.  I'm playing checkers with Azalea instead of doing the dishes.  Doing everything I can to enjoy the time on my clock, since I haven't yet figured out how to slow it down when I need to.


1 comment:

  1. Holy moly! After the summer tease, people are just to chilly and damp to even comment about the great weather! Or . . . . . time really is moving too quickly for us all this year.

    ReplyDelete