Thursday, July 11, 2019

Lloyd's last...

In the days leading up to surgery I took some time for myself to do things that I enjoy.  As I undertook these things with mindfulness, I cracked myself up by thinking of them as Lloyd's last____ .  Here are some photos from my final days with Lloyd.

Lloyd's last nature walk

Lloyd's last outdoor concert and sangria

Lloyd's last night out with friends.  Wait a minute, Lloyd didn't have any friends.  Martha here treated me to a thoughtful and fun evening with snacks, a movie, and a drinking game.  We watched Vertical Limit, and drank tea or lemonade every time someone made a poor decision or said nitroglycerin, and ate lots of chocolate covered things from Trader Joes.  Martha even made up a table-top drinking game menu so we wouldn't forget the rules.  Thank you Martha!  We're so silly, but it was so so fun!!!  We need to pick a post-Lloyd climbing movie--perhaps Cliffhanger?  It's sooo bad!!!  

Lloyd's last walk in the neighborhood, observing the milkweed ecosystem.

Lloyd's last time returning library books

Lloyd's last chai latte at the tea shop.

Lloyd's last embroidery project. While vacationing out in Washington the first week of June, my brother and I were having a mindful minute on a bench by a lake.  Suddenly an osprey flew across the water and dove in for dinner.  It was amazing.  Until we realized that a nearby momma duck who used to have 5 ducklings now only had 4--the osprey had picked off duckling number 5 and took it across the lake for dinner!  I decided that this needed to be immortalized on a dishtowel, especially since my brother had not yet unpacked his dishtowels in his new home and so could use some more dishtowels.  So instead of packing for the hospital or doing something useful before eyebrow craniotomy, I saw it fit to sit on the couch and embroider this epic vacation scene.  Not my best work, but I was on a serious time crunch.  The osprey turned out about how I intended it to, but my duckling is way way way too big!!!

the spread at Martha's vertical limit viewing

5 comments: