Tuesday, July 2, 2019

The first Lloydless transmission

My brain tumor named Lloyd was resected/"debulked" via an eyebrow craniotomy procedure on Thursday June 20.  My amazing surgeon debulked 95% of it, in a 6.5 hr procedure.  The tiny bit that remains was left there because it is tangled up with some very important spinal fibers and the tumor tidbit is named Pearl Jr. will be treated via a Cyber Knife SRS procedure as soon as I'm well enough for that.  Tentatively scheduled for late July. I was sent home the Sunday following surgery with a shiny new walker.  I can walk okay, I'm just wobbly with a head full of debris-filled spinal fluid for now.  I'll be fine again soon.  Just need lots of rest and healing.  My incision looks great apparently, but is turning into the ichy healing phase UGH.  My eye didn't swell up.  I hardly even have a black eye.  You know what does swell up is my forehead!  Apparently its straight up spinal fluid pushing out the 1/2 inch bone hole they made in my eyebrow.  I've got a coban turnicate keeping the pressure on at all times.  It's hot pink.  Stylin as usual.  

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj1LP7L32EgFt6j-nvXIIdxtjzoOXLPRX76m-1m3KwNUUpGpXAReMHlo_OCp2WLxCz3acfWY7EaeQwQgO_iolLI_H4pU2js2sLsEV7SMI5C-EXVzfQ7CEoZm-s4Fw4zxfozUX1I5ppga3PP/s320/post+lloyd+resection+mri.JPEG
L:  image showing where Lloyd used to live.  The black swath on the left is the path taken gently through my brain and is expected to scoot back into place over time.  R:  Lloyd's ugly self, for the last time.  Now he's embedded in a slab in the pathology lab.  Good riddance!!!

I have to keep reminding myself how much better this is than chemo.  It doesn't help that I'm up on a million steroids again, making good sleep very elusive.  But I'm trying hard!  Ice sure does help to numb the itch.  

My thoughts are with everyone else out there also trying to do the brave things and get good rest.  You can do it!!!

I'm so glad that it's done!  We did it!!!!

Prior to surgery, I was telling my friend Dr. CL that I love waking up in the recovery area because I usually feel a euphoria at being done with the procedure.  I didn't have that feeling this time, but this was so different from the mastectomies, and the procedure was so long, there were just a lot of differences.  But NOW I'm very glad it's in the past.  

I've started to have some weird dreams, so I guess I must be getting some sleep.  My dear friend Ami is currently my dream nemesis.  She keeps waking me up with the promise of snacks, but she never shows up with the snacks.  Thanks for nothin, Ami (please don't actually bring me snacks right now!  We have SO much food!  And my main snack of choice is peanut butter toast.  Mmmmm.)  The strangest dream was last night by far.  Some other patient was trying to steal my ice pack off my head!!  His name was Howard and he played some good mind games, trying to get me to get up for snacks so he could steal my ice.  You'd think I was starving up in these parts.  I promise you I'm eating plenty and well.  Lots of protein, too.  




13 comments:

  1. You are doing awesome and improving daily. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que the ginormous vats of peanut butter to the Allen house . . . maybe I'll just bring you some awesome bread for toasting tomorrow. You've got this H Bomb! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or is the cue? By the way, this is M-I-L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, you never fail to amaze me!In your blog, in your Lloyd journey, in everything!Know you are always in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always thinking about you and sending prayers to you and your sweet family ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you sis! Continue getting that sleep and healing going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon Hinsa-LeasureJuly 3, 2019 at 1:32 PM

    Such a terrific post. You have an amazing spirit. Hope things continue to get easier and you can enjoy family time this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Point taken Heather! When you are up and out and about, we'll have another date!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW, not sure I like being your dream nemesis... Torturing you with empty promises of food....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such. Good. News. Missed reading your sense of humor. Most certainly glad Lloyd didn’t get that in the divorce. Strength & love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howard the Ice Stealer sounds like a cousin of Peter the Reed Waster. Great work doing the brave things! Thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank, this is greatness! I think they're brothers actually.

      Delete