Thursday, July 11, 2019

Shuffling into the next phase of recovery

Is that spinal fluid leaking out of your eyeball, or are you just happy to see me?

I don't know for sure.  I think it's spinal fluid.

I beg your pardon if I am repetitious with my previous post or within this post.  My cognition is returning, but I'm not yet very sharp.  I'm reading two books (one audio, one hard copy) and I can play cribbage (i.e., do simple math) so I'll be fine.  Commercial break: we play cribbage on the world's most beautiful cribbage board.  I hired a local wood burning artist [@spellbounddragonfly on Facebook] to make it for my spouse for father's day (the portrait in the center was burned into basswood, then colored with watercolor pencil.  the game board is Walnut):

I just need a little bit more time for my brain to fill in and heal, I guess.  I'm still pretty sleepy most of the time.  Sleeping at night is getting better.  I'm waaaay down on the steroids--2 mgs per day is all.  My incision is basically healed up, but my forehead gets super puffy.  I have coban (coban is that self-adhesive wrap they put on your arm after you give blood) wrapped tightly around my head to keep things together, and it's pretty uncomfy (pulls my hair, etc.), by itself, but especially when it tugs on things that hurt on their own.  The most painful thing continues to be the healing at my right temple.  I guess the surgeon had to cut a muscle there, and he's not surprised that that's painful.  For the most part my forehead and temple are full of tingling healing sensations, but only get painful if I've done too much chewing or talking.  Occassionally I get a sharp acute pain somewhere in my head.  Then I lie down for sure.  I'm not sure where that pain is...somewhere internal to my forehead?  But it's sharp and sends a clear message!  I feel like massive headwound Harry from classic Saturday Night Live, Massive headwound Harry  but I don't look like that at all.  And I don't feel like I have an open wound.  And the dog leaves me alone, for the most part.  He's excited about me having a bed on the first floor for now (I call it my Charlie Buckets bed, from Willie Wonka).  I'm still pretty wobbly and using a walker, but I'm making strides
(pun intended for my punny co-workers).  Tomorrow my occupational therapist is going to bring me a tray for my walker, so that I can carry stuff.  She didn't want to give me a tray too soon, because it'll block my view of my feet.  SO tray acquisition is a level up!!!

Folks ask about my appetite.  I am a ravenous super healer!  I'm constantly hungry.

I'm getting outside for a walk every day thanks to all sorts of helpers.   

1 comment: