Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sprung from my tower

We did it!!!!!  This morning my neutrophils were 2280, which is over twice as high as they needed to be!  That must be some kind of powerful bone marrow meditation I invented.  I must admit, I feel a bit like a rockstar, which is funny considering I didn't actually do anything.  Thank you, everyone, for the well-wishes that helped me achieve this goal!

I feel like Rapunzel when she escaped from her tower, singing:
Just smell the grass! The dirt! Just like I dreamed they'd be!
Just feel that summer breeze - the way it's calling me
For like the first time ever, I'm completely free!
I could go running
And racing
And dancing
And chasing
And leaping
And bounding
Hair flying
Heart pounding
And splashing
And reeling
And finally feeling
Now's when my life begins!
Well, my "life" isn't beginning, but my weekend certainly is!  We are going to crash my dad's campsite at a nearby county park.  We'll set up a tent with an air mattress, and I'm going to get the best sleep I've had in days--the fresh air, the chirping birds, the babbling brook, the cuddles of my darling daughters.  Oh how I've missed those cuddles!  Some of you might think it's odd that I'd rather go camping than come home and sleep in my own bed, but remember that home is where I was trapped for nine days prior to my hospitalization.  I'm looking forward to being somewhere else for a bit!

It is so strange not to be tethered to the pole on which my fluids were hung.  I keep hesitating before moving and reaching my right arm.  It's okay, right arm!  Reach away!  Reach for freedom!

I have six days to enjoy life, get some work done, and continue recovering.  I'm mostly worried about getting my guts back in order before chemo on Friday.  I was taken off of antibiotics when I was discharged today, but I have a long row to hoe.  It's a tenuous situation in there that would be nice to stabilize before chemo wrecks it again.  My solution is probiotic pills and yogurt every day.  It's a system that I employ after every chemo and has worked for me so far, but six days is not much time.  If it can be done, I can do it!

Thank you for all of your support that you showed while I was hospitalized.  My family and I are so grateful to all of you.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend!!!!    

3 comments:

  1. Huzzah for heather's meditations! Keep it up! Now invent healing for every cell in your body! Kick some cancers ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your poems just make me smile, honey! And I can totally understand why the air mattress holds such appeal. Enjoy every second and let the yogurt do its work! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wwooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!" said Ryan, a mere three days late.

    ReplyDelete