Friday, May 16, 2014

Things just got serious

This is just a quick update, dictated to my phone, with the results of my appointment today.  The new chemotherapy drugs have really taken a toll on my immune system.  This explains my extreme fatigue this week, and why "turning the corner" has remained elusive.  For the first time in my history of receiving chemotherapy, I am neutropenic.  My white counts are merely 1000.  This means that I could get an infection very, very easily, and that an infection could kill me.  As a result I am starting a course of prophylactic antibiotics, throwing out all fresh flowers, and turning away all unnecessary visitors.  It also means that it is in my best interest to skip my daughters' public, germy gymnastic show tomorrow.  

Boo!  Shit just got real!  And I don't like it!

I will have my blood work done again on Monday, and hopefully I'm significantly better.  I guess I'll be needing a new recovery/family/work-life balance protocol for next week.  I'm in uncharted territory for sure.

In other news, how cool is it that I dictated this whole thing to my phone while lying on the couch?  Thanks, iPhone!

9 comments:

  1. Hang in there and remind those microbes that you're their friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaky, what is this life without a few waves? We are wrapping our loving arms around you to squeeze the cancer out and give new life to your ever lovin WBCs!!! Your boat will float again soon and you will be on top of of the world. Wait, did I just cop a Leonardo cheap one? Uncles are good for that I guess. We love you and your resolve...you give us sooooo much strength girl, but try and save some for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HANG TOUGH Heather, this too will pass. I had several weeks of really low WBCs and couldn't get my weekly chemo (I also had your previous double hitter - carboplatin and paxitaxol after a severe anaphylaxis with taxotere).
    It is scary when they tell you to hole up and try not to expose yourself to sickness or to too many folks in public places. Gives you WAY too much time to think! I know you have this, Heather, and in a week or two you'll be back having an IV steroid cocktail that'll keep you up all night, in preparation for your next round of chemo. Just glad you squeezed Disney World in before neutrophil hit. Sending you love and smiles. Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=koABatPqvB4

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm no expert here but I do know of this occuring in other cancer survivors...even being done intentionally in a controlled environment - ie hospital. It is serious and ditto to what Kristi G says above! We shall comply with Dr O's orders & I'm glad you are able to stay at home. Lean heavy on your family support network. In times like these I say TGTF...Thank God There's Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Heather this is your cousin Lauren :) (I had to make this blog for a school project). Just wanted to say I love you a lot!! I'm selling bracelets at school to help you and a ton of people have been giving me orders! :) Love you tons!!!!! :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete